What is a Conversation Template?
A conversation template allows you to create a model for your users to follow when they plan and/or conduct a conversation. You can fully customise how a conversation should look like, based on your organisation's need. To find out more about the full set of features that conversations offer, check out this helpdesk article.
By default we offer you two kind of conversations. The 'Regular' and the 'Quick' conversation.
The Regular template is a standard template to be used with conversations that require preparation in advance. Conversations with this template will go through the 'normal' flow of a conversation: planning, preparation and the conversation.
The Quick template is a standard template to be used with conversations that do not require preparation. This can be used when you want to just log a spontaneous conversation or when you don't need to go through the planning or preparation phases.
How to create a Conversation Template?
You can create a new Conversation template by going to the 'Templates' tab in the Conversation Studio (Studio > Conversations > Templates).
In the top right corner you will see the 'New Template' option. Clicking on it will bring up the setup window.
The different component of the template will be discussed below.
First, give your template a name and description so you can easily find it later.
Next, are the conversation steps. Here you can set up the different phases that will make up the entire conversation. You can also select the order in which you want the steps to take place.
Possible options are:
- Discussion: This is necessary when you want your users to discuss certain assigned questions. The conversation phase will consist out of a set of questions and answers.
- Feedback: Have a look back at past feedback given to the team member/coachee
- Objectives: Go over the team member's/coachee's objectives, create new ones or finish and score existing ones.
- Courses: Enroll a user in a new course. Review ongoing and completed courses. (Only for customers with the Learn module)
- Engagement: Review and discuss the team member's or coachee's engagement score (Only for customers with the Engage module)
- Summary: Write a short summary about the conversation. (Can be visible for admins)
Select the topics that should be discussed during the conversation phase. The questions will be filtered based on the selected topics in the next step. If no topics are selected, all questions will be available.
Select the questions from your library (based on the selected topics) or create your own ad-hoc question.
- Participants can add questions: allow your users to add their own questions to the conversation by default
- Participants can remove questions: allow your users to remove questions from the conversation by default
- Users should prepare the questions before the conversation occurs: users need to submit their preparation before the check. With this option OFF users can just go the conversation phase with preparing.
- Regular users can start the conversation themselves: team members or coachees can start the conversation phase themselves. With this option OFF only team leads/coaches can start the conversation.
Permission to conduct
This part deals with permissions. You can select whether this template should be available through 'push' by an admin (more information on what conversation pushes are can be found in this helpdesk article) or whether the template should be available from the conversation overview. The second option means that users can create a conversation based on this template whenever they want.
You can further define who should be able to plan this kind of conversation if you enable the second option. Do you want this conversation to be available to team leaders, coaches? Or can 'regular users' (i.e. the person who is the team member/coachee in the conversation) also start the conversation?
Set some viewing rights of whom can see the results of a finished conversation.
- Admins can read summaries: admins can (only) read the written summary of a conversation
- All team leaders of the user can see the complete conversation, including questions: this will allow team leaders, other than the team leader who conducted the conversation to view the finished conversations of their team members in their entirety. This does not apply to conversations conducted between coaches and coachees.
By choosing a conversation interval, a reminder is sent to the team leader and/or coach if they haven't planned a new conversation X amount of days after the last one.
By enabling the option, you can
- Fill in the maximum amount of days you want between two conversations
- Choose to whom a reminder mail should be sent. Options are Team Leader, Coach or Both
When everything is filled in correctly, click on the Create button in the bottom right corner, to create your template.
How to edit an existing template
You can always edit your own templates and the 'Regular' template by clicking on the options icon (three dots) on the right side of the table.
Note: It's not possible to edit the 'Quick' conversation template.