Add a group of people via CSV
When you want to import a group of users into the platform at once, you can import them using a Comma-Separated Values (CSV) file. Please read following guidelines precisely, because otherwise you won't be able to import users correctly!
1. Create an Excel file of your users and save it as CSV file
The first step is to create a CSV file of the users you want to add to your platform. An example of such a file you can download here. You can do this f.e. in Excel and afterwards you save it as a CSV
The first_name, last_name and e-mail columns are required. All other columns are optional. But if you are using our perform and/or engage module, we highly recommend you to also add the team_name and teamleader_email columns.
Be aware of following "rules" when you create the file:
- The file is case sensitive, so e.g. 'Sales' is a different team as 'sales'.
- If you add a language value, you can only use the following abbreviations.
- de : German / Deutsch
- en : English
- es : Spanish / Español
- fr : French / Français
- hu : Hungarian / Magyar
- ja : Japanese / 日本語
- nl : Dutch / Nederlands
- pt : Portugese / Português
- da: Danish / Dansk
- fi: Finnish / Suomi
- pl: Polish / Polski
- sv: Swedish / Svenska
- Multiple student groups should be separated by a forward slash (/) e.g. Marketing/Sales
- Users can have multiple job titles, separate them by a forward slash (/)
- Users can only be in one departement!
- User labels: you can add one of following user labels to limit functionalities for certain users.
- internal: access to all modules within your license
- extended-enterprise/customer: give it to users who should be excluded from perform functionality
- Dates: always use following format: YYYY/MM/DD or YYYY-MM-DD
- Gender can be male, female or neutral.
- Custom fields: add 2 columns per custom field you want to add (custom_field_ID & custom_field_value). Be aware we can only add 3 custom field per CSV import. So if you have more than 3, you need to do the import more than once. More info about custom fields, read this article.
- Mail unknown accepts true or false. Only use this column in exceptional cases when users don't have an email address. If true, a random email will be generated for this person.
- You can leave values blank, they will stay blank in the platform. In the example csv, you can see that for Michelle MacPudding the values <middle name> and <departement> are not filled in, so these will stay blank after importing the file.
- Important to know is that when you're adding and importing teams, you will need to add teamleaders before normal users to the system. Otherwise, they will not be found in the system, and as a result they won't be added as a teamleader!
- Per team you need at least one teamleader.
- One user can be part of more than one team. You can do this by using the columns team_name1, team_name2 and team_name3. Don't forget that every team needs at least one teamleader. In one CSV you can add per user maximum 3 teams, if in exceptional cases, someone is a team member of more than 3 teams, you need to do the upload multiple times and always add 3 per time.
- Team hierarchy is not something you can add in this file. You need to add manually in the platform the relationship between child and parent teams. Users > Teams > 3 dots > Edit > Parent Team.
When you prepare your file in Excel, make sure you save the file as CSV UTF-8, otherwise you won't be able to select your file in the next step. Save As > CSV > CSV UTF-8 (Comma-delimited)(.csv)
2. Upload .csv-file
Go to studio > Users
Click in the upper right corner on the arrow next to Add User and choose Import from CSV.
In the next screen, you can download an example .csv or you can upload your created file.
We click on Upload CSV and select the file on your computer you want to import. Click Next to go to the next page.
You will see the following screen where you can link the columns of your .csv file onto your platform fields, so the system knows which column corresponds to which value. You don’t have to import all columns. Columns you don’t want to upload you can leave on <Do not import>.
Once all needed columns are matched, click in the upper right corner on Next.
Almost there. You have still 2 important decisions to make:
- Overwrite team structure: by enabling this you can overwrite existing team memberships and replace them by what you have written in the .csv file. When enabled you can also decide if you want to archive empty teams as a result of this import yes or no.
- Send activation email: by enabling this we will send all new users in this csv an activation mail.
Click on Preview if you are sure of the decisions above.
Check in the preview screen if everything looks good and click on Import if you are completely sure.
You will only see the first 10 results with a notification how many records will be imported.
If you want to change something, you can still click on Back.
Once everything is fine, click on Import and Import button.
All e-mails in your CSV will be added to the system, and these people will also receive an invitation e-mail to reset their password (if you enabled this setting). Users that are already in the system will not be added again and they will not receive an e-mail either. The user will be overwritten with the data in your file, so when there are differences between the data already in the platform and in your file, the data will be updated (if you enabled this setting).
Important: if your platform is still in configuration mode, the invitation email won't be send to the users. On the moment you go out configuration mode, they will receive the invitation email immediately.
Use the Intuo API
Read the article about the use of the Intuo API.
You can always contact support if you need more info or help.